Sunday, May 13, 2012

Both Her Mother's Love

Happy Mother's Day 

This is going to be one those hard post for me to write 
but one I have been thinking about writing for a very long time.

I have not done the drawing for the My Memories Software yet
but promise to do so tomorrow. 

Tonight I wish to share with you the feelings of my heart.

So that I can document them for my daughter to read someday.

In 2008 my views on Mother's Day changed.

I had always grown up having a mother and I had no problem 
becoming a mother. 

So I  never took much thought to be considerate of those
who may not be so fortunate.

But in 2008 that all changed.

For the first time I was exposed to what it would be like
to have been a mother but not allowed to parent your child.

I took Nevaeh on that Sunday to visit her birthmother at rehab. 




There were many other woman there who did not have visits that day.

I could see the hurt and anguish in their eyes as they watched
Mommy M visit with Nevaeh. 

And I was torn. 

Torn because I wanted to be her mother. 

I was the one who got up in the middle of the night to feed her, cleaned up
her throw up and calmed her when she was frightened. 

But I was not her mother. 

I was only her caretaker. 

So that Mother's Day in 2008 I saw and felt a lot of pain. 


2009 was one of the worst Mother's Day of my life.

I had been the primary caretaker through the foster care system
 for Nevaeh for almost 18 months. 

Other than visiting with her birth parents for a few hours a week 
I was really the only mother she knew. 

Yet on Mother's Day afternoon
I did the hardest thing I had ever done in my life.

I packed her bags and took her to spend 2 nights 
with her birth parents at the halfway house. 

There is no way I would ever be able to explain the pain
I felt in my heart that day nor to explain the look of excitement
and pure joy on her birth parent's faces. 

I did not feel comfortable leaving her in their care. 
It was not my choice. 
I had no say. 
I was just her caretaker. 
Not her mother. 

So I went home and cried myself to sleep. 

A few weeks before I had won a book with a CD
called From My Arm's To God's Arms to Yours.

I had heard the most beautiful song that I knew would never apply to my situation.

It talked about a birth mother who chose to give her child to 
another person to raise. 

I was in a different situation. 

The only way I would become Nevaeh's mother would be by force.
What a depressing way to become a mother. 
What a horrible way to no longer be a mother. 

Her birth mother had been through that scenario 4 other times. 
She was doing better this time. 
Trying hard to keep it all together.
Wanting so badly to be the mother that Nevaeh deserved.

I had extreme guilt for even thinking about wanting to be the mother
of this little girl.

It didn't matter that I had raised and loved her for almost 18 months.
I was not her mother. 

The turn of events that happened right before court in July 2009 
are something I will never forget. 

Almost the exact words of the song in the book I had
received were said to me over the phone. 

I was to get the wish of my heart while someone else
would have to live with the emptiness and void 
of many many Mother's Days to come.

I would now have the incredible responsibility of not only 
providing this child with my love but 
providing her with both her mother's love.




I vowed that I would take her to spend Mother's Day with her
birth mother even after the adoption was final as long as 
I deemed the situation to be safe. 

That was wonderful for 2010 and 2011. 

But this year it did not happen. 

This year I have yet to hear from her birth mother but am dreading 
the phone call when I do. 

This year I will have to break her heart once again 
and even though it breaks mine to do so 
and I do not judge her for her decisions I cannot at this time 
do so knowing that it is an unsafe environment to take Nevaeh into.

I envy those people who have the birth mother over to their homes. 
The ones who have friend relationships. 

But there are days I have to snap out of my fantasy and remember
why it was Nevaeh was placed in our care to begin with. 

Why it is her mother had 4 other children taken away. 

And although I will always love her in my own way
and tell Nevaeh time appropriate things about her
I am afraid the time has come for now to stop our 
visits. 

And I know it will break her heart. 

So this Mother's Day I will once again
think of those who have lost children, who have had children taken away,
who have decided to place children in a loving home, and who are not 
able to have biological children of their own. 

Because although Mother's Day is a day to honor Mother's
there are many many women out there in pain on this day. 

And my prayer is that we can all take the time to be a little more 
compassionate to those who may not care for Mother's Day.



And I will continue to pray for those children 
who do not have mothers or 
who have mothers like me desperately trying to bring them home 
but stuck in an imperfect world where love is not always all you need. 
Praying that next Mother's Day our child and many others will know the joy of 
having a mother. 


( I used the kit Birds and Blossom Combo Pack for my scrapbook pages)

2 comments:

The Walkers said...

"And I will continue to pray for those children
who do not have mothers or
who have mothers like me desperately trying to bring them home
but stuck in an imperfect world where love is not always all you need.
Praying that next Mother's Day this child and many others will know the joy of
having a mother. " beautiful expression of how our hearts are hurting and the hope we have that God will move and make a way! Love your heart friend!! Praying for news tomorrow that will give us hope!

Cynthia said...

Such a hard post to read but having been a foster parent, I can absolutely feel the words that you are saying. I can see why Heavenly Father chose you to be her mommy! Continue forward, I can't wait to be cheering you on as you finally have another little girl in your arms! Thanks for your continued love and support for our family...it meant and continues to mean so much to us!
Cynthia
http://www.adreamadoption.blogspot.com