Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 3 of our Adventure

Our third day in Russia was July 19th. Once again we had a hard time sleeping much past 3:30 a.m. We stayed in bed until 5:30 a.m. and then got up and got ready for our physicals. We had done a lot of prep work in the US in hopes of making the physicals easier in Russia. But our doctor's office messed up on Steve's blood working and forgot to have him tested for HIV. So Steve had to fast because he still had blood work that needed to be done.

We arrived at the clinic around 9:00 a.m. We first went in and meet the director of the clinic. She was such a pleasant lady and made us feel right at home. I was offered something to eat and Steve was whisked off to have blood taken. Within a few minutes he was back and able to join me in eating the little treats.

The director told us that we should feel right at home because the room we were in was designed after the way they build them in California. She then proceeded to tell us about the swimming pool they had too. We thought she was being serious. Come to find out she was joking because the roof is flat instead of slanted and when it rains it collects so much water up top they refer to it as the swimming pool.

Then a doctor come in and asked us questions about our health. She then apologized that she would need to ask us questions for another doctor too because that doctor would not be in until later in the afternoon. Then we got to walk around and meet a few other doctors one being the psychiatrist. Our facilitator told us that he usually asks embarrassing questions so to be prepared. He graded a little test we had taken in the director's office and then asked us 2 more questions. After that he told our facilitator he knew we were a good family and that he liked us and that was it. We were done. Our facilitator was shocked. She said "Wow, I guess he really liked you. He normally asks more questions." So I guess we got off easy.

Now it was time to drive the hour out to the orphanage. The director asked if we would like a tour. I did but I knew that it would cut into our visiting time so I was a little sad about that. But it was nice to see the orphanage and all the programs they have for the older children there. They are very big into the Special Olympics and even have an Olympic size indoor swimming pool.

After the tour was finished they brought Natasha to us. This time she was very excited to see us. She was wearing her big blue bow again with a pretty dress they had thrown over her play clothes. For some reason they had put us in an area that wasn't really even a room. It had a few coaches but was on a hard floor and right next to stairs and an elevator.

We brought out a small ball for Natasha to play with and it really wound her up. She was so excited and acting really hyper. She even hit her head on the corner of the wall while trying to get the ball and she just laughed about it. It broke my heart that she didn't cry and later I noticed she had a huge knot and bruise on her head from it. I am posting some pictures here that I don't feel I need to put a flower over her face because they are just side views and mostly just pictures of a big blue bow :)





We tried to calm her down by having her play with the iPad but that was not a good idea at all. She really didn't know what to do with it and at one point threw it at us. Not trying to be mean just trying to be funny.
























She may look like she is being good with it here but a few minutes later she was pounding on the keyboard and slapping at the screen and trying to throw it on the floor. Just look at that mischievousness little smile.




























So we decided to put it away and try crackers. It was fun to watch her sign crackers and more. For crackers she decided she needed to pull up her sleeves so she could find her elbow. That is why her arm is bent and her sleeve is up.



























Here I am trying to clean her up after her cracker eating and she is letting me know that she needs her mouth wiped too. She thought the wipes were a great toy and at one point starting mopping the floor with them. So we had to hide those also.























I love this picture of Steve and I. I don't think we could have looked any happier.










Next we brought out the sticker book and that was a big hit. I taught her more sign language and she had a great time mimicking the sounds we would make.





Our visit was only about one hour and we were exhausted by the time it was finished. We determined that the next day we would try and visit her in her natural environment. We could see so much potential in her and loved how she would light up when we taught her something new. She has stolen our hearts and we can't wait until we get to go back and bring her home with us so she can learn so much more and reach her full potential.







2 comments:

Megan said...

I'm so excited for your family and your little one she is going to be such a great addition to your family. God Bless

Wanda Jean Wach said...

I am so in awe of your patience, love, and understanding of this little girl. And, your honesty..exhausted after the hour visit! And, your comment about having her here and helping her to live up to her "potential". Kudos to you both!